Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Maple Story - Archived Progress (2/27/06)

TelinArtho
Posted 2/27/2006 9:24:52 AM
Well, I had planned on keeping just one topic on my progress, but apparently it got dropped over the weekend - oh well.

The weekend was productive and I've gotten my first real sessions training with someone. I'm not sure it makes it any faster, but it definitely is something to watch for me.

Let's see, I managed to make level 27 this weekend - having started at level 25. For the most part, I've been training on Stumps of all varieties at Over the Wall and the drops have been reasonable - but nothing special. Right now I have 3 Red Matties (level 35 wizard hat), a brown burglar and a blue burglar. From the looks of them, they wouldn't sell too well - but if anyone wants them for a reasonable price - just let me know (I'm on Windia).

Beyond that I split my time there and training at the first screen of the ant tunnel.

Some observations:
1. I can train at Over the Wall for hours without using a single potion. The dark axe stumps take from 3-6 hits (without using power attack - with power attack it drops to 2-3), but everything else takes 1-3.
2. I can train at Ant Tunnel I for about 30 minutes before needing to use potions.
3. Party Quest? Yeah - I wasted two hours trying to get in and it just didn't happen...

Since the drops of the various stumps are for things that I'm looking for (mostly a better battle shield and various ores at this point) - it would seem to me to be better to train there. I haven't done an analysis to determine whether I can kill things faster at Ant Tunnel or at Over the Wall - but Over the Wall does have one major benefit in my mind: no kill-stealers.

Training in Ant Tunnel is very active, so there's plenty of people who can come along and take away the kills I'm working on. For the most part - I don't much care about it - because they usually only do it for a few kills before moving on. In Ant Tunnel though - it seems that this kind of behavior is more prevalent.

At Over the Wall - I usually get people who come in - kill for a few minutes and then ask if they can buy leaves from me. So not only do I get reasonable experience, but I also get to make neat sums of money from selling leaves at 100 a pop. And, since I'm using very little in terms of expendables - my profit in that area seems to be tidy on its own.

Ant Tunnel does have some benefits though - and it is mostly for the better expendable drops and for a change of pace - which is the only reason I'll go down there for any length of time. I also usually use John's first quest for time to regenerate my MP before going away from the computer to heal for short periods. Horned mushrooms also drop cutlus - so they have a rare drop or two that would be nice to have.

My profit has still been quite nice - for I am back up to ~150k and I haven't NPCed a fair number of expensive items (the 3 matties and the 2 burglars I mentioned above would NPC for 123k on their own). I've been strolling through the free market before signing off most nights - but I haven't found anything interesting that I can afford and would be reasonable to get quite yet.

At this point, level 30 seems unattainable by this upcoming weekend, given the amount of time I'll have to play, but it is still a goal I am working towards.

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 27 Warrior

No comments: