Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Maple Story - Archive (4/12/2006)

TelinArtho
Posted 4/12/2006 2:17:34 PM
Thanks for that mlugia... some more random things that I was looking at today:

Manji's Ragged Gladius - requirements: 1 ancient scroll (dropped by Dark Stone Golem), 1 flaming feather (dropped by 2 kitties and red drakes), 1 star rock, 1 piece of ice.

Out of these, I currently have... none.

I've been fighting kitties for about 10 levels now - off and on - and no flaming feather from them. Dark Stone Golems are out of my reasonable reach - and I assume the ancient scroll (being a quest item) isn't exactly common. The star rock can be crafted, but requires so many jewels (of which I only need black crystal and a diamond), and also is given by Sabitrama's level 50 jump quest. The piece of ice is a possible reward from Arwen's shoe (and no - I don't have that either).
So in the end, my question on whether I am going to upgrade to the Hero's Gladius at 45, or wait for the Katar at 50 seems pretty apparent...

I have to admit though, I was kind of looking forward to boosting my attack power a little at 45...

And on a side note, I just got 2 major jumps in bids on Basil... not sure how valid they are, but the baseball bat was just auto-won for 200k (jumped from 102.5k) and the fan jumped to 1mil (from 600k).

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 42 Fighter

TelinArtho
Posted 4/13/2006 7:58:18 AM
Last night was big for me in a lot of different ways. First off, I made level 43 last night - I only need 3 more levels to max off Final Attack. Also, I'm almost to my dex cap of 80 (next level), so I'll be able to take a shot at Mushmom next level.

I had several auctions taken care of last night. My baseball bat was bought at the autowin price of 200k; my korean fan was overbid from 600k to 1 million so I accepted the bid when the player came to find me. He also wanted my panlid, so I set the price at 200k and let him buy that as well.

In terms of my own purchases, I got an underpriced 10% scroll of Glove Attack for 430k - I haven't found the seller yet and I'm not even sure I'll use it - I may just turn around and sell it back for a profit - we'll have to see.

I didn't get any significant drops last night that I can think of, but I've had many recently so I'm not complaining by any stretch.

When I finished for the night, I was at around 10% into level 43 - I think I spent most of my night chatting and dealing with the various buyers. I capped everything off by heading to Ludi - just for the change in scenery. I figure I'll try a few more PQ while I'm there, plus I want to stock up on hot dog supremes.

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 43 Fighter

TelinArtho
Posted 4/13/2006 8:28:00 AM
Still doing a little bit of research into the whole Wdef = x*damage reduction thing. I've done a few cursory tests over time, and I thought it was pretty much 2 points in weapon defense equaled 1 point in damage reduction - even though everyone seems to think it is 3 to 1.
However, after taking one opponent type and taking the average damage sustained from that creature, here's what I've found (there will be more testing - so this is ongoing):
Versus jr. kitties:

With a wdef of 87 (thanks to PreacherMaple) the average damage is 65.With a wdef of 165, the average damage is 34.With a wdef of 212, the average damage is 12.

The goal here is to determine the maximum damage a kitty can do from those three, so:
65+(87/x) = 34+(165/x) = 12+(212/x)

Assuming my guess that with a 0Wdef, you would take 100 damage from a kitty is true (if someone wants to test this - please do), then x is 2.5.

Assumptions that may be incorrect: the average damage is mostly the midpoint from observation. I'm taking PreacherMaple's number from page 3 of this topic as an average. My damage range at 165 was from 32-37. My current damage range is 10-15.

The last assumption is that wdef is a linear relationship. This seems to be true with the range I've got here - what I'm not sure about is whether this is consistent as defense numbers approach godly numbers (say 500+, 1000+ etc). As I said - this is ongoing research on my part.

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 43 Fighter

mlugia
Posted 4/13/2006 8:41:07 AM
2.5 sounds plausible for damage. I can tell you that when I wear just about nothing worth of WDEF I took 40+ dmg from bubblings, which reduced to 10-15 in full gear. I don't recall the exact equips either way, so I can't give you an estimate of my thing.

One question I do have is whether or not Level has to do with damage taken. Probably not, but worth noting. If it's not a linear relation, then it'd be too tough to figure out the equation, and probably not worth your time. At least, in my opinion.

I went to bubblings to collect for Ming Ming's first worry last night. The first bubbling I killed dropped a 39 atk (below avg) Fish spear. huzzah for +5 speed! Also got a pair of white split pants from ribbon pigs, leather sandals from pigs, and two Lv 1x shoes (one for archer, one common). Talk about random drop luck.

lv 27 now, but you're way ahead of me There was an auction for 56k sword scroll on basil that ended at 5am this morning. Did you bid on it?

TelinArtho
Posted 4/13/2006 8:44:50 AM
Well, I just won an auction for a pair of above average Umber Shouldermail pants. Guess that means I have to speed to level 50 so I can wear the set now...

Umber Shouldermail top (avg is 55wdef, +3 str, +1 dex - mine is 56wdef) costs ~200k - I bought mine for 130k.Umber Shouldermail bottom (avg is 44wdef, +1 acc, +1 str - mine is 46wdef) costs ~220k - I bought mine for 235k.

I probably paid too much for the bottom, but I'm likely to try scrolling a few - so there's little harm in getting one now.

I think I need to get a few more items to sell on basil - I'm running out of auctions to bring in the money... right now, I think most of the items in my inventory are NPC sellable items (Avg White Piettra, slightly below avg Green Pole Feather, stuff like that). Still probably 3-400k worth of sellables, but I think I'm getting used to the nice money I'm bringing in from selling...
And yes, like Ebay, Basil Market is like crack...

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 43 Fighter

TelinArtho
Posted 4/13/2006 8:58:31 AM
For all the complaining you did yesterday about not getting drops, and you start off the night getting a fish spear... oh - I see you are as delusional about your drop frequency as you are about the Jays being a good team...

I didn't try for the sword scroll since I wasn't going to be online. However, there are a number of items I am looking at on Basil with eagle eyes right now because they are extremely cheaply priced. I'm hoping that no one will catch on to them - but if they do - so be it. If I win them, you can be sure I'll be here posting about it.

Level of the character doesn't seem to have any affect on damage, but it definitely has to do with hit frequency (like in the accuracy calculator for instance). Obviously, monsters use a different calculation on avoidability vs accuracy, but I think the damage formula has little or nothing to do with player level. Monster level may have something to do with it - but for a single creature, that will be constant anyway - so I'm not going to worry about it.

If I think of it, the next time I go back to Ossy, I'll spend a few minutes gathering data on how much damage kitties do when you have absolutely no armor on.

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 43 Fighter

mlugia
Posted 4/13/2006 9:06:45 AM
Ha ha, the fish spear was nice, but nothing special. I was complaining last night because I was looking for things like Fossils and Plant Samples for the quest (damn quest items), and even though they're supposed to drop very often, I'd go stretches where none of 5-10 consecutive enemies killed would net even one. That's frustrating when the enemies suck for exp >_> Or not even any EXP given for the plant samples...

Besides, fishy is under average

And Jays ARE a good team. At least, our Wells is better than yours and whines less. And younger. We knocked 3 balls over the monster last night, that's a good sign. We have Lilly pitching today, and you guys seem to suck against Lilly. Hopefully that keeps up.
On the night, though, my fantasy team's batting average slipped a spot to 2nd of 6, since they went .200ish last night. (I went into the night batting .307 O_O)

I'm watching some Dragon robe and red cross shield auctions and the likes. shield = 50k, Robe = 50-80k, so I'm looking for some good deals. I'll probably be scrolling the chainmail, so getting just one dragon robe is fine with me.

Now I just have to scrape enough money to buy them

Maeiv
Posted 4/13/2006 9:18:09 AM
Jesus christ! You're lvl 43!?

You're catching up to me fast! *is a lvl 56 fighter*

---Maple Story IGN: StormCaliber (Windia)

TelinArtho
Posted 4/13/2006 9:18:16 AM
Well, your money troubles are just about over - someone bid on that nice Nakamaki you found... an extra 100+k is always nice to have...

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 43 Fighter

No comments: