Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Maple Story - archive (3/3/2006)

SirPenguin
Posted 3/3/2006 1:32:20 PM
Well, that's all well and good, but why share it, is what I'm trying to get at. You're a low level, so it's not like it's interesting to read about all these new spots. The only reason there is so much text is you're so damn long winded in your explanation about things that - oh noes - we already know.

Only one person thus far has even replied positivly to this topic, and I can only assume he was heavily medicated at the time. Hey, write whatever the hell it is you want to right. But keep in in Notepad.

mlugia
Posted 3/3/2006 1:44:21 PM
I like this topic. Since I'm an Archer (and extremely fond of Warriors), it's interesting for me to see MS through the eyes of a different player, playing a class I would have chosen had I not gone my way. Since I'm not a high level player either (30 atm), we're in similar boats, so keep it up.

I wish I could take on evil eyes at Lv 27 T_T

Steel44
Posted 3/3/2006 1:54:59 PM
Well like any blog, it's for those that are interested or curious. He clearly labels the topic so if your not interested or don't care, just pass it by. The reason he writes it out is to organize his thoughts and plan ahead, and maybe in the process get some tips or feedback.

On another note, Telin your a dba? If you don't mind me asking how old are ya and where do you live? I've been trying to get into dba but I just got out of school. I've done some job research but I notice that companies want people with experience, like 5 - 10 years experience. Maybe it's just where I live there not in high demand, but i'm not giving up, I might luck out and find that entry level position to get my foot in the door.

---Broa: Zenkar - Fighter - lv. 4x

TelinArtho
Posted 3/3/2006 2:04:27 PM
RE: Being a DBA:
Yes I am - I'm 26 and I double-majored in English and French in college. Lends itself directly to working at a software company doing DBA work right?

Anyway - I live up in Massachusetts and work for a small human resource and case management software company.

As to potential positions, I can tell you that there are plenty up here for various industries - banking being a prominent one of course. What truly matters is what you know. I came into my job as a Tech Writer and got moved in when my aptitude for the work was apparent. I taught myself how to work with Sql Server and eventually branched out into Oracle and a little into DB2.

For my purposes, I deal about 75% with Sql and 24% with Oracle (the remaining 1% would be DB2, Postgres and other smaller db systems). What you should find in the job market however is that the bulk of companies are looking for either Oracle or DB2 administrators.

I can try to get a foot in the door if you give me an area that you live and your approximate abilities. I have tendrils into many markets - and my own company has offices world-wide (even though we've only got ~200-250 employees).

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 28 Warrior

Steel44
Posted 3/3/2006 2:17:35 PM
I've noticed that to, that Oracle and Sql seem to be the most prominent. As of right now I only know MS Access, actually I have my certifications in all MS Office products (word, excel, outlook, powerpoint and access).

My understanding of Oracle and Sql are that they are for huge databases, so most like used for large corporations. Since Access seems to be used for a small database, I figured I would have to get into a small business that has no database set up and design and maintain it for them. A small construction company for example may just want to keep a customer database so I don't see any need for Oracle or Sql in that situation. But because I like database work and really interested in it, i've been thinking about going back to school and just focusing on that area.

By the way I live in Canada, Edmonton to be exact.

---Broa: Zenkar - Fighter - lv. 4x

TelinArtho
Posted 3/3/2006 2:40:29 PM
Well there's kind of a catch to learning Access.

First, it can't handle large database systems. I had a pleasure of converting one of our clients from 50+ separate MS Access databases into a single Sql database. The equivalent of about 3 gigs worth of data - not fun at all...

Second, it is "easy" to manage. What I mean is there's little need to have an official administrator over an access system. In fact, I suspect that unless you are developing a front end to Access - you really won't see much of it in the private sector (public/gov't can be an exception).

If you truly enjoy working within databases/database applications, I strongly suggest picking one of the biggies and running with it. Although I hate Oracle with a passion - it is definitely the most lucrative option, followed closely by Sql Server and then the rest (by a long shot). I also would suggest picking up a working knowledge of javascript and html (mostly to make yourself more marketable).

In Canada, unfortunately I have no connections. Edmonton - Alberta right? Yeah - I've nothing even close to there... Sorry I couldn't be more help with that. Still, there should be plenty of places looking for decent DBAs - just make sure you get your foot in the door with contract or consulting positions. For instance, I am the first DBA at my company - they created the position for me when they realized they needed it.

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 28 Warrior

BobWayne17
Posted 3/3/2006 2:52:26 PM
Yea this is really cool Telin. Blogs are fun and intresting and it's cool to see it through your eyes. If you are on today I may start a character in windia. A fighter or page. So if you are willing to buddy me on windia ill try and help ya out. Im on alot and I dont spam the buddy list or anything. Im getting on right now ill try and whisper you after I make my guy. Hope to see ya there!!!

---MS ROCKS Broa lv 3x Ice wiz bobwayne21 and lv 1x bandit sin m0msecksg00d

TelinArtho
Posted 3/3/2006 2:58:43 PM
Well, Bob - I won't be on until 9pm EST most nights - so you can save yourself the effort of looking for me now, as its only 5pm here. Feel free to seek me out later on though.

And to answer the question on the table - why blog? Why not just keep it in a notepad?

In my experience, (as everyone has surely noticed) people tend to pick up on things that they find interesting. If my blog promotes another player to write up his/her experiences - especially a high level player - then I suspect there'd be some support for it.

In a long way around - you could see my blog as an attempt to start a new fad. It isn't my intention, but if it happens, I think the MS community is benefitted from it.

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 28 Warrior

No comments: