Thursday, September 14, 2006

Maple Story - Archive (5/8/2006)

TelinArtho
Posted 5/8/2006 2:19:34 PM
Okay, here's a tough question for poker. And the answer may be a bit of a surprise to most:

This situation was one a friend of mine was in the other day (this was also posted in my journal, but I wanted some more opinions on it. I've given my friend's explanation in the journal. I'm curious what people think about this).

He was playing in a satellite to the main event of the World Series. Top 2 players got the seat and some spending money while 3rd got $900. His total investment was $3.

They were down to 3 and the situation was like this:

Chip Leader 200k+
Player 1 (my friend) 5.4k
Player 2 (other opponent) 1k

Blinds were 2k/4k with an ante (I don't remember the ante). Player 2 is the button, Chip leader is the SB and my friend is the BB.

After posting blind and ante, my friend is down to 1.3k. Button folds and Chip leader does the minimum raise to put my friend all in.

What do you do? You have AQs.

(As far as a dynamic, you can make a valid assumption the chip leader will always put the players all in - which is how the situation ended up like this)

(This was a post I made on another forum. Later, when I've posted the "correct" answer - I'll give the link to the thread - since there's a good bit of discussion around it.)

AQs means Ace - Queen suited (both are spades, etc). The game is a tournament-style no limit hold'em. Feel free to ask questions to clarify before answering if you need it.

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 48 Fighter

wdiablo2004
Posted 5/8/2006 2:34:37 PM
The poker question you have no choice, but to play bad hands. With the blinds that high if you fold your out of the tourney. The AQs as long as the flop is good you can get a few extra chips in your bank. With a few good hands you can put yourself into a better position and continue folding as normally unless you get low of chips again.

I'm kinda new to maple story, and I'm wondering if scrolling is a good money maker. I plan to get a shop permit soon, at least I hope to. Currently using basil almost all the time and merchanting (buying cheap, selling high) ores. My mage could really use the benifits of scrolling, but as I only have around 300k mesos (just bought 350 blue pots, 100 orange, and a few other potions for training) I got a scroll from PQ and its going for 9k on basil, 10% helmet scroll will I ever get a steady income? I am a low level and new to MS. I am currently at wild boars getting teeth for another quest, hoping for a maple drop...

If you have any ideas my post is almost always bumped to first page, but I enjoy coming here and will be back, especially for the poker answear

As always, looking good keep up the good work!!!

---MS:K-heshinihobo-level 2x warriorhushihobo-level 2x mage

GaMeR777
Posted 5/8/2006 9:36:31 PM
Quote:I started at 32% yesterday and I had an hour of play so I just decided to go PQ. In it, I earned 5%~. What am I doing wrong? -_-
Well you gotta factor in that I was a warrior, which meant that I always got the most experience from the Rombot stage. I also got the 2xxx exp from Alishar everytime too. The % you get varies, depending on how much experience you got by killing monsters in the PQ.

---Windia: ScarletWand Level 45 Cleric *Dead*Drum Level 5x Fighter *Very Active*

GaMeR777
Posted 5/8/2006 9:38:14 PM

Quote:Right now my briggon has a 10% dex and a 10% atk working on it.

Nice.

---Windia: ScarletWand Level 45 Cleric *Dead*Drum Level 5x Fighter *Very Active*

Slasher900
Posted 5/9/2006 6:22:57 AM
Actually thats a hard one... if it were me.... I would probably go for it.. because that would be a tough spot to be put in.....

---TrueMiroku lv4x Fizard [Scania]

TelinArtho
Posted 5/9/2006 8:45:40 AM

Well, for those looking for the explanation about the poker question early - here's the link to the thread on the other forum: http://www.bet-the-pot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12953
I'll keep the explanation out of this topic for a few more days though.

I'm home today (wife and kids are sick), so I'll be quick.

Last night, I earned about 22% over the course of 4 hours, mostly in Orbis again at the Disposed Garden. Despite my plans to finish a few quests, I just got bored with it, so I'll get to them later.
I did venture deep into the dungeon and defeated my first few Wild Cargos as well as regular drakes. I didn't die - but I did teleport out with a return scroll.

After that I decided on a whim to go fight mushmom - found an empty channel and killed 1 pig and 2 fierrys before she appeared. I managed to solo her this time - after using 1 sniper pill, 3-4 lemons and around 20 unagi (less - but I don't know exactly how many).

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 48 Fighter

Slasher900
Posted 5/9/2006 8:48:19 PM
Congratz David on Soloing MM what did you get from her? and hope your wife and kids get better soon my little cousin is sick with a REALLY high fever only at night they say its alergies but I dont know.....Also my Arc Staff is now a +3 (60%) 1 slot left to upgrade with another staff scroll I have had bad luck until todaywhen they guy gave me the scroll that I won on a bid on basil I paid him and asked him to wait when the scroll worked I dropped 50k for him just out of being so god damn happy

---TrueMiroku lv4x Fizard [Scania]

Slasher900
Posted 5/10/2006 2:08:22 AM
Hey thundon you should get a pig as a pet and name it BaconFast or something lol

---TrueMiroku lv4x Fizard [Scania]

TelinArtho
Posted 5/11/2006 8:11:32 AM
Been a busy couple of days for me - mostly because my wife and kids have been sick - so I stayed home to take care of them.

It did mean I got to play at "off" hours for me - just with frequent interruptions. I managed to finish off level 48 though, so I am just one more level to 50. As I'm sure many who are on my buddy list have noted - I am very lucky - and earned a total of 8 drops over the last 20% of level 48. These include: 2 pairs of Brown Piette Shoes (on auction), a 49atk Halfmoon Zamadar, a pair of Black Green-Lined boots, a Blue-lined Kismet (54wdef), a red bandana (who cares), a dark hunter's top, and a mithril buckler (19wdef). I NPCed some of it and have a good amount on auction right now.

To make it even better, on one of the Lunar pieces exchange I did - I got a shield scroll for myself. I promptly used it and it worked - so my tower shield now is 45 wdef, 3 mdef, and +10 hp. 3 slots left to finish it off - hopefully I'll be lucky and another will work. Here's to that hope...
I also have 3 auctions that just ended (for a total of 820k), one that will end later today and one that will end tomorrow (currently 440k between them).

I did a quick time-trial at the disposed garden yesterday without using a warrior pill and found that my xp rate was significantly less. Over 10 minutes with the pill, I clocked in at 2.57%. Without it, I earned 5.7% over the course of 28 minutes. In hourly rates that works out to 15.42% and 12.21% respectively.

I also did a quick analysis of my income at the garden during level 48. Essentially, I would use 100 lemons, 100 white, and 30-40 unagi over the course of ~15-20%. This is about 100k worth of potions. Over this time, I would earn about that much from the pixies and nependeaths. However, when you factor in the exchange quest - where I sometimes get whites/blues/lemons - suddenly my costs can go down quite significantly. I found that over the course of this time, I usually netted about 30k per run, excluding the drops I have been getting. Surely there are more profitable places, but for what its worth - nependeaths have a great potential (with the exchange and with honey drops) and both pixies have reasonable drops as well.

With my new level, my rage is now of a high enough level to forego the warrior pills (though it will need casting ever 72 seconds, compared to the 10 minutes of the pill...). Still that just means I have an extra use slot in my items.

For the double rate times today, I won't be playing for most of it - though I might be able to get a solid three hours out of it. I just moved back to Ludi - so I'll probably camp out in either the aparatus room (tobos) or Process 1 Zone 1 (master robos). If I can manage a good percentage of this level, that'll be a solid point to end with today.

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 48 Fighter

No comments: