Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Maple Story - Archive (3/14/2006)

TelinArtho
Posted 3/14/2006 11:46:50 AM
RE: My exp gain is around 2-3% per 10 mins.
Also - just as a comment to this - you are gaining at a much faster rate than I am - so don't knock your 2-3%!

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 33 Fighter

Cornwallace
Posted 3/14/2006 12:48:51 PM
I got to level 30 in about 2 1/2 days because I dont have a life. I dont have school, I hate sleeping, and my parents were gone. Instead of a party, I played MS.

Now he's a level 37 Spearman, havent touched him in a couple days, he's in ludi because he's the only one of my characters that can afford/train there decently. Im starting to think I should move back to Victoria and just train. I've had a break from MS for a week now, and im getting antsy.

Its nice to see im not the only Warrior out there who dosent yell about KS'ers or for people to Change Channel.

TelinArtho
Posted 3/14/2006 1:21:33 PM
So what are people's opinions about the various boost potions/pills? I don't really use them (mostly only accidental usage) - so I've been building up on them. I certainly wouldn't buy them at this point, but I'm starting to wonder if it would make a significant difference in helping me train. (In other words - I'm going to work out some numbers and see if anyone agrees)

Currently, I'm level 33, have a strength and dexterity (adjusted with equips) of 117 and 64 respectively. I wield a +1 Gladius with a 49 Weapon Attack and have 35% mastery. Currently, that translates into 155 to 260 damage (with a maximum of 677 with Power Strike). The average damage on an attack is 207 or so.

A warrior potion boosts your attack by 5. This would boost my damage range to 171 to 287. This boosts my average damage to 229. 22 points on average more per attack.

How does this translate? Well, let's look at a few common enemies:

1. Wild Boar - 550 hp. Without the potion, it will take at least 3 hits and at worst, 5. With the potion, I will be able to take it down occasionally in 2 and at worst 4. 22 damage on average seems to reduce the number of hits needed by around 1 here. On average though - it will take 3 hits regardless.

2. Jr. Kitties - 1100hp. Without the potion, 5-8 hits; with the potion 4-7 hits. Again - about 1 hit difference. On average, without the potion, it will take 6 hits, while with the potion it should take 5.

When I use power attack, my damage is boosted from 677 up to 746 - so I'm more likely to 1-hit kill the boar in this case, and more likely to 2-hit kill the kitties, but otherwise, not much has changed.

So I guess the last question that remains is whether the cost outweighs it.

Each potion could be sold for 250 in a store, so does using the potion "save" me that much or even "make" me that much? This is a very difficult thing to quantify. In order to save me money, I need to be using fewer regular potions - but since I don't use many as it is - this isn't likely to be a useful number to me.

However, for making me more - this is something that is possible. In order to cover the cost of the potion, I need to kill at least 3 additional kitties over the course of the three minutes of the potion. Three minutes is a decent period of time - but is it enough to kill an extra 3 kitties in? If I normally take out 15 of them, can I take out 18 while under the effects of the potion?

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 33 Fighter

TelinArtho
Posted 3/14/2006 1:27:10 PM
Quote:Now he's a level 37 Spearman, havent touched him in a couple days, he's in ludi because he's the only one of my characters that can afford/train there decently. Im starting to think I should move back to Victoria and just train. I've had a break from MS for a week now, and im getting antsy.

Its nice to see im not the only Warrior out there who dosent yell about KS'ers or for people to Change Channel.

I'm looking forward to getting more and more levels - but training in ludi just isn't working for me. At level 37, I would think you'd have a few more options than I do, but maybe not enough.
I don't see the point of getting upset at kill-stealers. Frankly, I rarely use my magic - I just whack things until they go down. If someone comes along to kill-steal me, I'll start using it then, if I truly need to. Most of the time though - they are just passing through - so the minor inconvenience they provide is fleeting.


Asking someone to change channels on Windia at my levels is simply absurd. There just aren't enough people to get an area crowded. Even Henesys Hunting Grounds I isn't bad most of the time (and this is the one place where I have seen someone ask to change channels - and he was promptly laughed at by most of the people on the board...

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 33 Fighter

mlugia
Posted 3/14/2006 1:36:12 PM
I have to confess, while training at Land of the Wild Boar I, I've accidentally KS'd others. I'm sure I annoyed them to hell, because I can't see them on my minimap (too far away from me), so when I walk from left to right on the base level, shooting when I see a boar, I accidentally take out a boar that someone else was working on. Of course, I immediately head back the other way and tried to look innocent. ¬¬

I'm looking for a Heckler now, preferably above average (55+).

TelinArtho
Posted 3/14/2006 2:03:30 PM
Not that anyone's going to notice except that I'm mentioning it now - but I made a mistake in my calculations on the warrior potion above. I treated (for some reason) my mastery as 60% instead of 35%. Makes a bit of a difference, but not a huge one.

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 33 Fighter

TelinArtho
Posted 3/14/2006 2:05:02 PM
A Heckler eh? Sounds like you are going to have fun getting cursed dolls for a little while... Doubly good so you can work on that cursed doll quest series.

Be thankful that you can actually hit zombie lupins...

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 33 Fighter

mlugia
Posted 3/14/2006 2:17:44 PM
I wish I could kill Zombie Lupins right now. I took on a Lupin the other day alongside a couple of octopus monsters (Sleepywood area), and the banana hit me for 100+ dmg, and it was so fast! I had to Iron arrow the octopus down before I can double shot it to death. Quite the hassle.

No siree, I think I'll just buy mine off Basilmarket or something T_T.

TelinArtho
Posted 3/14/2006 2:21:24 PM
Well, I guess I just assume that hitting is all that's needed - lupins do around 30-50 damage to me (don't quite remember) - but I have a hard time hitting them - so I tend to stay away. Sorry for that - sometimes I take hit points for granted...

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 33 Fighter

Steel44
Posted 3/14/2006 2:21:48 PM
Darktyde at level 30 you can stay in ant tunnel training on horned and zombie shrooms (which is what I did), others move to boars at level 30. I'd stay away from kitties until level 35.

Hey Telin, to bad you wheren't on Broa, you sound like a cool guy and I wish I could add you to my buddy list, and invite you to my guild. Plus it'd be nice to hang out with another person my age, the kids are out numbering us in my guild.

Well since i'm here I might as well list some goals I can finally check off my list:
Reached level 50 last weekendPQ'd till level 51Was finally able to synth my lions fangTried 2 60% scrolls on it (1 failed)Should hit level 53 tonight, hope to be level 55 by the end of this week.

---Broa: Zenkar - Fighter - lv. 5x

TelinArtho
Posted 3/14/2006 2:27:10 PM
I appreciate the kind words - always nice to hear them.

I can see the argument to stay in the Ant Tunnel, but I like to move around a fair amount - so that's not the best place for that. Of course, staying down there, for me, would be good just so I have the opportunity to find a better cutlus.

In fact, maybe I'll head back there just for kicks the next time I play - it has been a little while.

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 33 Fighter

TelinArtho
Posted 3/14/2006 2:38:30 PM
Hmm, I found someone looking to buy my blue shouldermail pants that are slightly below average on defence. I was planning on keeping them until I found something better - but level 50 is a decent ways off.

Anyone want to give me an idea what I should ask for them? They NPC for 60k - so I'm thinking 120k would be reasonable. More? less? I'm not worried about outpricing him since I'll use the pants if I still have them at that point - but I don't want to be completely off the wall...

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 33 Fighter

No comments: