Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Maple Story - Archive (4/5/2006)

Sp00kyMuffin
Posted 4/5/2006 11:40:03 AM
I'm so sorry, I forgot to add you >_>So I sent an invite to Aerylus or something.

BTW, you got it wrong, Crossbowmen and women are my favourite class in the game! =)

Thundon
Posted 4/5/2006 11:55:01 AM
What about SereneGrace? I added that one Spooky but you logged off.

---SwiftBacon - Member of the Ebilness Guild - Windia

TelinArtho
Posted 4/5/2006 11:55:59 AM
Hey Spooky - I just added you on MSN Messenger. I'm not on very often - but figured I'd let you know.

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 41 Fighter

mlugia
Posted 4/5/2006 12:02:19 PM
Post 249! NO ONE POST UNTIL TELIN PUTS IN THE THOUGHTFUL POST 250! :O

Also, awesome! I have a 44 xbowman, but I'm putting him on hold for the Page, since a magical swordsman is just as hot as an archer in my eyes.

TelinArtho
Posted 4/5/2006 12:38:13 PM
Now I feel like there's all this buildup because I mentioned I try to post something useful for the top of each page. Hopefully something fruitful will come out of this.

In previous posts, I have covered the effectiveness of including warrior/dexterity potions/pills in training and the benefits/hindrances of adding all dex from 41-44.

In this post, I want to cover something a little less concrete - training.

Most of the things I've seen about training harp on one point: make sure it takes 1-2 hits to kill. For training though, there's a lot more going on.

Let's take a couple of examples and work out some specifics (chronos vs kitties):
Now, a kitty will take from 1-2 powerstrikes (if FA activates - 1 all the time). They also take from 2-4 slash blasts depending on FA. Kitties deal about 15-20 damage per hit. Kitties are also faster than chronos and tend to bunch up - especially on the platforms.

Chronos on the other hand, take 2-3 powerstrikes (if FA activates - still could be 2, but not 3). For slash blast it is usually 4 to take them down. Chronos don't group up as easily as kitties do though - so it isn't used very often. Chronos also deal 35-45 damage per hit.

Both kitties and Chronos have reasonable drops (though the mystic shield and stars are probably more coveted) especially in terms of money and etc drops.

Over the course of a level, let's say that on average, you get hit once per enemy kill. It could easily be more or less than this - depending on the creature, but we need to start somewhere.
To go further, we need to know how many of each we need to kill - so for level 40 to 41 - we need 4414 kitties (factoring in 100 horns traded/300 kills) or 3588 chronos.

Over the course of the kitties, we will use 4414-8828 powerstrikes or 2943-5886 slash blasts (assuming an avg of 3/slash blast are hit). During the time to advance, you will also take 66210-88280 damage.

For chronos, we will use 7176-10764 powerstrikes or 3588-4784 slash blasts (again, assuming an avg of 3/slash blast are hit).During the time to advance, you will take 125580-161460 damage.

What does all of this really tell you though? Well, kitties are going to cost you a lot less (the difference in cost of 88280 dmg and 125580 dmg is 37 unagi or so - and that's if you took the maximum from the kitties and the least from the chronos (it goes up to 95 unagi the other way around).

No one is going to go through the effort of all of this to determine what to train on though - it just isn't reasonable to look at all of the available monsters and find the optimal one.

If you are ever wondering if it is effective to train on something though - maybe more people should look into things like this. Once you get into the range of needing less than one hit to kill something (as in - you kill it and have "overkill" damage), then those things become less and less efficient for you.

For instance, add slimes into the equation. These take 1 slash blast to kill mobs of 6 at a time. However, I'd need to kill 29k of them to advance from 40 to 41. In the course of that time, I might take a significant less amount of damage, but I've also made it so I don't get the drops I need for other future things. I've also netted less money, since a single slash blast would likely cost more in MP/HP (meso cost) than I'd make from the 6 kills.

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 41 Fighter

No comments: