Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Maple Story - Archive (5/2/2006)

TelinArtho
Posted 5/2/2006 6:52:52 AM
Last night went from a ho-hum night to a great night in very short order.

I started off by training on tobos, which are still a great source of experience, even if it seems to be running 0.01-0.02% per at the moment. Gaining around 10-15% there, I tried a PQ and had 2 bad groups.

The first was mostly people speaking in another language - though which language I'm not sure (I have a lot of language background, but this didn't look like anything I know). Anyway, after 3 failed entries into the PQ (including 2 crack tracks that I provided), I left to find a better party.

The second group seemed good enough and we even got into an open ch1 PQ. Unfortunately, their true colors came out and we made it to stage 8 after half an hour. After getting up through most of the 1xxxx combinations, the leader suddenly says, "I have to go." Then he logs off. Wow - what a waste of time that was.

In order to prevent myself from going through that again in short order, I decided I would train on tobos until I was near dead and then go back to Ossy and work on the Disposed Flower Garden again. In the short series at Tobos, I got a Staff Stimulator (drop #1).

Arriving in Ossy, I worked on the flower garden, as planned and had a grand old time there. I got another drop - a pair of Black Green-lined boots (level 40, average, drop #2). There's a number of pre-lvl40 thiefs in my buddy list and in my guild - so they get first crack if they want them. After that - it goes to Basil Market.

Assassin_XD was asking for some help in Florina finding coconuts, so I decided I would go back there for a short while and work on my own quests. By the time I had gotten there, he had figured it out - so did not need my help anymore. I went to Lorang and Clang and did fairly well there - though Clangs can do some serious damage. I only collected ~30 pieces of each before I decided to be done there for a while.

The true treasure of the night however was my trade-ins. I had accumulated over 100 stars, moons and seeds - so I traded them all in: 20 pieces of wood, 10 mana elixirs and last but certainly not least: a 10% earring scroll!

Training in the garden has been going well and I earned a total of around 30% last night. Without any sort of boost, I can 2-3 hit lunars, 1 hit stars and 1-2 hit nependeaths - depending on whether FA activates, etc. With a warrior pill, this improves a fair amount as well. The garden has a very nice spawn rate, and I still occasionally try to take down multiple lunar pixes with slash blast - WHICH IS A BIG NO-NO! 160-200 damage per hit stings even when you have over 3000 hp..

.---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 47 Fighter

Anima Zero
Posted 5/2/2006 8:10:58 AM
Still watching your progress Telin. Keep up the good work .

Too bad I'm on Broa, otherwise I'd join ya.

TelinArtho
Posted 5/2/2006 11:04:43 AM
Well, I've started collecting scrolls for my cape scrolling. I've pretty much decided on Dex scrolls, since I'm not sure how much dex I'll be getting in future levels from equipment, and I'd like to cut as much from my gloves in order to scroll them mostly for attack.

I've only got around 2.2-2.5 mil right now, but I do have plenty of items to sell/NPC - most significant of which is the scroll for Earrings. I'll be continuing on in the disposed garden for a while - so hopefully I'll be getting more significant drops and trade-ins to work with.

Dropping 700k+ on a single scroll that only provides a small stat bonus seems a little much to me though and I'm balking at it. After the first one I've put a bid on, I might just hold off and buy them over time. It is doubtful that I'd get rid of my Icarus any time soon.

On another note, I did decide to purchase a pair of red snowshoes with 5 slots left and +4 speed. I'll probably finish off the rest of the slots with dex scrolls, but it'll be nice to have a little boost to speed when I wear them. If I can get them better than my jangoon boots, I may even wear them outside of training on jr. yetis at level 50. Who knows.

@Anima - always good to know that people are stopping by.

One of these days, I've got to set aside my buddy list and find out (or remind myself) who everyone is. I've been looking at it and aside from the "regulars" - Assassin_XD, mlugia, Thundon, Spooky, Geeoff and 1 or 2 others - I'm really at a loss as to who they are. It would be nice to have a record showing who is who on the boards and in the game.

@Assassin_XD - going back to our conversation last night and from reviewing some of the archive today - did you take PreacherMaple's advice about using warrior pills while you train? How much of a damage difference does it make for you? Also, the level 40 claw is an avarice and level 50 is a slain - we had it backwards yesterday. What are you using now? Let's see if we can't find a better combination for you. Obviously PreacherMaple and SwiftBacon should speak up so that we can help this guy out.

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 47 Fighter

Thundon
Posted 5/2/2006 11:28:12 AM
Telin, sorry I haven't posted in a while. But just dropping by to say hi ^_^

You should try to record how much % you gain per hour, so you can get a good estimate on which monsters are best for training. And also, "the 1-2 hits kills are the best" may not be so true in the later levels 40+.

At my level (48), I need 550k exp. I tried training on Jr. kitties since most were 1 hit kills for 65 exp and I was getting like 6+% an hour. Then I tried Golems (the maps have them grouped together and since they are slow, they are fast to take down), which give 170 exp and it gained me 10-15% an hour. On the down side, recording your % can be a drag since at my rate, it will need about 10 hours just to level up :/

Good luck on the Earring, I'm super jealous. You must have at least 4 mil right now if you sell all of your junk. X_X I only have like 2 mil if I sell my stuff.

And keep up the leveling, you're probably going to pass me. :P You're pretty successful so far, nice job.

What conversation were you guys talking about? I don't know if I can help but Preacher probably can. He's already way into the 50's!

K David, I'll catch you later 9 PM (which is 6 pm for me).
---SwiftBacon - Member of the Ebilness Guild - Windia

TelinArtho
Posted 5/2/2006 11:43:44 AM
Assassin_XD was looking for some advice on what to train on to also earn a decent amount of money. No offense to him, but he keeps looking at the things I'm fighting and seeing what I'm getting, but I'm a level 47 fighter, while he's in his mid-to-late 30s as an assassin - so the two don't translate well at all. I suggested he talk to you and Preacher since the two of you went through those levels recently and have actually played assassins for a time.

In the end, I don't really care about my hourly rate - and if I did - I'm certain I would get discouraged about the rate. Take into account last night. I played on and off from 9pm until 2am and earned 30%. Sounds pretty horrible right? Well, I did spend a good amount of time trying to get into PQ and this and that and coming back to Orbis, etc - the hourly rate doesn't really mean much because I do a fair amount that isn't training. I suspect that for the period I was at tobos, I was getting close to 8-9% and slightly better than that at the Disposed Flower Garden. Since I'm talking a lot more with buddies and guildmates - I spend more time sitting again.

In terms of what enemies are the best to train on - I pretty much dictate that according to my mood. Some nights I want the simplicity of fighting tobos while on others I want the jumping and attacking involved in fighting pixies. Still others, I want to try my hand against tougher creatures - either in the PQ against Alishar, down against Rombot or even Mushmom back in Victoria. Keeping a variety of "fun" things to do keeps my interest in the game.

And yeah - I probably do have close to 4 mil in money and sellable stuff. The earring scroll was so nice after so much processed wood... now if only I can get a few shield and helmet scrolls from star and lunar pixies... of course another Earring scroll wouldn't be the end of the world either.
Assuming I'm online tonight - I'll see you later. Still not sure what's going on tonight, since my wife doesn't work tonight - but we'll see. I might start off with poker first though.

Oh, and sorry to burst your bubble, but at level 47, you need 550k to get to 48. At 48 to 49, you need 600k...

---MS TelinArtho2 (windia) 47 Fighter

No comments: