Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Benefits of Partial Cover

I cannot express how much a map can really help or hinder a mission. Take my fight from last night, for example. I was deployed on the north side, my opponent on the south. About 5 hexes away to the south of my starting area, it becomes +1 level and increases up to about +4 level in the middle. Heading further south- it dips back down - but only to +2 or so. In other words - my opponent had higher ground than me (for the record - the original map was worse for me and I asked for a remap - and this is what I got...).

Here's the armies that we had:

His army: TBT-5N [4/5], WTH-1 [4/5MA], OTT-7J [4/5], CDA-2A [4/5]; BV: 3476
My army: CN9-AH [4/5MS], HBK-4H [4/5], VLK-QA [4/5], FS9-M [4/5]; BV: 3583

As can be easily seen - he's got the advantage at range. He's also got some fast movers that can ruin my day if they get to my rear.

Anyway we both close in - he's shooting on 7s with his LRMs, I'm shooting on 11s, 12s with my AC10 and LRMs. I move my firestarter to a hidden place to at least protect it for one round. The next round - he's at short range with his LRMs - so he stays put - I close some more - but the terrain slows me down - my HBK runs for a +1 modifier and medium range with his AC10; my centurion walks for a +0 modifier and medium range with his LRM10. My Valkyrie stays put for a round.

This round I'm shooting at 9s (4+2 (run)+2 (medium range) +1 partial cover) - despite the fact that the TBT doesn't move. My centurion shoots at 8s. My Valk shoots the CDA with his LRM at an 8 as well.

I deal 19 damage to the TBT (which is actually quite good considering) - he deals 20+ to my HBK - I fail the PSR and fall. Great! Just great.

Next round - the HBK stands - but fails, stands again and moves 1 hex at running for a +0 modifier, but is now at 9 hexes. My firestarter is finally in position to strike the WTH in melee after running 7 hexes (the first favorable movement modifier set I have had this match); my valkyrie jumps to a level 2 forest with his back to a level 0 area - so he can't really be backstabbed too badly. The OTT does move there - but at least that's only 1 medium laser to contend with.

My firestarter is firing 2 MLs, 2 SLs, and 2 MGs at the WTH with a +6 modifier (4 base, +2 running). He hits with 1 ML and an MG. Yay. My hunchback misses the TBT with his AC10, but manages to hit once with a ML at long range (a nice 11 to-hit). I fail to cause any PSRs, but my hunchback suffers one - falling again.

In the next round - I focus all of my efforts on the TBT, but end up with an exploded HBK instead.

In other words - I feel I lost this match because of the map - but the dice really didn't help either. Luckily - I do have a HBK-4G to replace the blown HBK-4H here. It does mean that my range has decreased again though - and I rather liked having an AC10 in the mix. That said - I do enjoy dual AC20s...

Anyway - due to losses and such over the last few days, here's my current stats:

3 bandit reprisals - 2 wins, 1 loss
7 patrols - 5 wins, 2 losses
4 hit'n'runs - 1 win, 3 losses
1 scout - 1 loss.

(I also had a bandit reprisal, a patrol that were both rolledback that also were wins - but they don't count for the faction).

Anyway - that means I have netted 0% for the campaign so far.

No comments: